Identify Books Supposing Saving Fish from Drowning
| Original Title: | Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel |
| ISBN: | 034546401X (ISBN13: 9780345464019) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Bibi Chen |
| Setting: | Myanmar Burma |
| Literary Awards: | Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature for Adult Fiction Honor (2005) |
Amy Tan
Paperback | Pages: 472 pages Rating: 3.43 | 28972 Users | 2869 Reviews
Representaion To Books Saving Fish from Drowning
San Francisco art patron Bibi Chen has planned a journey of the senses along the famed Burma Road for eleven lucky friends. But after her mysterious death, Bibi watches aghast from her ghostly perch as the travelers veer off her itinerary and embark on a trail paved with cultural gaffes and tribal curses, Buddhist illusions and romantic desires. On Christmas morning, the tourists cruise across a misty lake and disappear. With picaresque characters and mesmerizing imagery, Saving Fish from Drowning gives us a voice as idiosyncratic, sharp, and affectionate as the mothers of The Joy Luck Club. Bibi is the observant eye of human nature–the witness of good intentions and bad outcomes, of desperate souls and those who wish to save them. In the end, Tan takes her readers to that place in their own heart where hope is found.
List Appertaining To Books Saving Fish from Drowning
| Title | : | Saving Fish from Drowning |
| Author | : | Amy Tan |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Ballantine Reader's Circle |
| Pages | : | Pages: 472 pages |
| Published | : | September 26th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2005) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Cultural. China. Asia. Literature. Asian Literature. Novels. Contemporary |
Rating Appertaining To Books Saving Fish from Drowning
Ratings: 3.43 From 28972 Users | 2869 ReviewsPiece Appertaining To Books Saving Fish from Drowning
This was a very enjoyable read for me! I liked how she used humour to write about injustice, and there was quite a bit of exploration of how how different people can have vastly different perspectives on the same events.I'm a huge fan of Amy Tan, and this book was a disappointment. Saving Fish from Drowning was outside of her voice and style, and unlike her previous novels, it took me forever to get into it. I finally finished after forcing myself to do so. Perhaps it's that I've come to expect her typical style that mixes magic, relationships, lessons learned and insight to Asian cultural. You could argue that Saving Fish from Drowning included those elements. However, I feel those pieces were not entwined
Wow. I purchased this book at our library used book sale for one dollar and it gave me such pleasure to read it. Amy Tan's pages are filled with quirky people, exotic adventures, nail-biting suspense. She seems fascinated by the clash of cultures in the hinterlands of Asia. We follow a group of American travelers from China to Burma where they fall into a cultural abyss that takes them back a century in time. Initially the Americans are concerned with their creature comforts - what is for

From reading the back cover of this book, I expected something like The Poisonwood Bible. Some of the elements are similar: group of Americans visit third world country, spend time with the natives, have their preconceptions shattered through hardship and numerous misunderstandings. But this book was unsettlingly lighthearted. I think that Amy Tan was trying to write a book that treats the reader as a tourist, as someone who seeks a story that is exotic and adventurous without being too
- I didnt like this book at all. I never bonded with the characters and couldnt wait to finish. The story is told from a dead womans perspective. That should have been my first clue. She dies right before she is suppose to be a tour guide for a trip to Burma (or Myanmar as it is now known). The group goes anyway. They start in China, but because of their lack of respect for the land and natural exhibits, they are kicked out and told they are not welcome. So the get to Myanmar early. The storys
I read this book a long time ago and should have written this review a long time ago. What a wonder this book is! Having read all of Amy Tans books, I expected good writing, serious cultural and gender themes, and disturbing realities. What I did not expect was this book. It is side splittingly, laugh out-loud, hilarious!You get the usual significant wit, wisdom and writing chomps of Amy Tan, along with Swiftian satire, that is stand up comedian funny. Think Robin Williams relaxed.Every bit of
Wow. I purchased this book at our library used book sale for one dollar and it gave me such pleasure to read it. Amy Tan's pages are filled with quirky people, exotic adventures, nail-biting suspense. She seems fascinated by the clash of cultures in the hinterlands of Asia. We follow a group of American travelers from China to Burma where they fall into a cultural abyss that takes them back a century in time. Initially the Americans are concerned with their creature comforts - what is for


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.